Research fields: Spatial Environmental Quality
Quaternary geology (analysing and modelling of landscape dynamics, fluvial systems)
Geomorphology (modelling landscape processes, sediment geochemistry)
Soil Science (soil-landscape system characterisation and impact of land use on soil dynamics)
Land evaluation, Land use cover change modelling (spatially explicit modelling of land use/cover change)
- Coupled Human-Ecological systems (modelling of feedbacks and system analysis)
- Transition towards sustainable development and Competing Claims
I have been (Co) promotor of 32 PhD Theses. I am currently (Co) promotor of 2 ongoing PhD theses. I have been a member of over 60 PhD graduation committees (at 10 different universities in 5 different countries)
Costa Rica, Colombia, Ecuador, Brazil, Indonesia, Philippines, Taiwan, South Africa, Kenya, Rwanda, Canada, New Zealand, Israel, Turkey, France, UK, Spain, Germany, Netherlands.
- Editor in Chief Agriculture Ecosystems and Environment,
- Former Associate Editor Agronomy for Sustainable Development,
- Former Member of Editorial board Journal of Land Use Science,
- Former Member of editorial board Landscape Ecology,
- Former Member of editorial board Ecosystems,
- Former Member of editorial board Netherlands Journal of Geosciences,
- Former Member of International Board of Netherlands Journal of Agricultural Sciences (NJAS).
- Guest Editor Agriculture Ecosystems and Environment, Special Issue: "Predicting land use change." Together with E. Lambin. (Impact score 1.4) No 6 on most downloaded papers 2001.
- Guest editor Journal of Environmental Management special issue "Modelling land use change and its environmental impacts" with P.W. Verburg. Most downloaded JEM issue in 2004.
- Guest editor International Journal of GIS special issue "Modelling land use change" with P.W. Verburg. No 7 of most cited papers of IJGIS.
- Guest editor Agriculture Ecosystems and Environment, Special Issue: "Future land use - Europe: scenario based studies on land use and environmental impact.." Together with P.W. Verburg and Mark Rounsevell.
- Guest editor Geoderma special issue "Advances in landscape-scale soil research" with D.J. Pennock. (2006)
- Guest editor Land use Policy with Kok, K., Verburg, P.H Special Issue: "Integrated assessment of the land system: The future of land use" (2007)
- Guest editor Landscape Ecology with E. Milne, R. Aspinall "Integrated modelling of natural and social systems in land change science". (2009)
- Guest editor Ecology and Society with K. Kok “Scale and governance: Conceptual considerations and practical implications ” (2011).
- Guest editor Geomorphology with K-T. Chang and M. Borga “Modeling land dynamics in mountainous environments “ (2011).