Integrating Guarantees and Veto-Buttons into the Charging of Electric Vehicles at Office Buildings

Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceedingConference contributionAcademicpeer-review

Abstract

The electricity demand by electric vehicles (EVs) is rapidly increasing and will lead to violations of grid capacity constraints if supplied in an uncontrolled manner. However, introducing controlled charging often makes EV users feel anxious. To increase the transparency of coordinated charging, we propose a framework of charging guarantees and veto-buttons that provides users with a sense of control. Here, veto-buttons allow users to opt for fast charging instead of controlled charging. We demonstrate the effectiveness of the features for an office parking lot use case, modelled based on a large real-world EV charging parking lot in Utrecht, the Netherlands. Using data from real charging sessions and the work-home commute distance surveyed among EV-driving employees frequenting that parking lot, we demonstrate the effect of the features on the aggregated power profile and its compliance with local grid capacity constraints. In particular, we show that when simulating 400 EVs behind a 1.3 MW power connection, controlling around 60% of the EV population based on their commute-distance information suffices to operate within power limits, even if the remaining 40% of the EVs opt for fast charging of their full electricity requirement using veto-buttons.
Original languageEnglish
Title of host publication2023 IEEE PES Innovative Smart Grid Technologies Europe (ISGT EUROPE)
Place of PublicationPiscataway, NJ
PublisherIEEE
Pages1-5
Number of pages5
ISBN (Electronic)979-8-3503-9678-2
ISBN (Print)979-8-3503-9679-9
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 26 Oct 2023
Event2023 IEEE PES Innovative Smart Grid Technologies Europe, ISGT EUROPE 2023 - Grenoble, France, Grenoble, France
Duration: 23 Oct 202326 Oct 2023

Conference

Conference2023 IEEE PES Innovative Smart Grid Technologies Europe, ISGT EUROPE 2023
Abbreviated titleISGT EUROPE
Country/TerritoryFrance
CityGrenoble
Period23/10/2326/10/23

Keywords

  • 2024 OA procedure
  • Optimized production technology
  • Europe
  • Production
  • Electric vehicle charging
  • Smart grids
  • Statistics
  • Sociology

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Integrating Guarantees and Veto-Buttons into the Charging of Electric Vehicles at Office Buildings'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this